It’s 93 degrees Fahrenheit in sunny California. Naturally, I think of ice cream.
I have to admit though, cold weather never curbs my appetite for ice cream ;). When I was a kid, my aunt made me a dessert called ice candy. It was basically fruit, milk, and sugar frozen into little plastic bags. I wanted to replicate something similar, minus the sugar. I didn’t have fancy plastic bags, so as usual, I improvised.
I experimented and came out with delicious homemade ice cream! It’s so yummy and has only 3 ingredients. You can obviously make yourself an ice cream sundae and add all your favorite toppings. I’m already drooling at the thought of making Nutella ice cream. Or how about Cookie Butter ice cream? For the baby though, I kept it simple.
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen strawberries (frozen works best, but i’ve tried fresh too)
- 1 frozen RIPE banana (frozen works best, but I’ve tried fresh too)
- Condensed Milk – for those with a sweet tooth.
1. Mix all desired ingredients
2. Blend all ingredients until creamy
3. Place into a freezer safe bowl or container. We used our Ooga bowl so I can easily give it to my baby without transfer (after I take about 8 bites so he won’t have too much). Freeze for about an hour and half. To me, this is the perfect amount of time to get the consistency and texture I like. Remember, if you’re wanting a more traditional super sweet ice cream, add condensed milk.
All freezers aren’t created equal so you can always check on it and test it. Just don’t check it too often because you might not have any left to share. It’s that good lol. It won’t hurt to leave it in longer, you will just get a more icy texture. It has no preservatives or added chemicals so it won’t have the same texture as ice cream, but I think it tastes better than store-bought!
Vegan option: replace cream with canned coconut milk.
*If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!