My husband absolutely loves chili.
No offense to canned chili lovers, but I don’t particularly love the ingredients in it. This was an experiment in the kitchen since my specialty is usually Asian food. I asked my husband what the main ingredients were and went for it! When I was through, my husband said, “You can definitely cook this again, it’s delicious.”
If you’re wondering how I came up with the chili muffin idea, my toddler inspired me. Like always, I try to find ways to make it an easier eating experience for both baby and I. Adding some chili in the middle made it easier for our son to eat and makes for an easier cleanup.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 – 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
- 1 tbs chopped garlic
- 1 can black beans or kidney beans
- 1 tbs chili powder (you can do two, but I didn’t want it too spicy for baby
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Seasoning Salt to taste
- 1 tbs olive oil (for browning)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pan add olive oil and brown ground beef, add a little seasoning salt to beef
2. Go to town and add everything in the slow cooker. I put only a dash of salt and pepper because of baby, but you can always add more to taste.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cornmeal we used Bobs Red Mill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 375f
2. Melt butter in microwave and stir in sugar in bowl #1
3. Add eggs to bowl #1 and beat well
4. In another bowl (#2) mix buttermilk and baking soda
5. Add buttermilk mixture (#2) to bowl #1 and add sour cream
6. Mix in corn meal and flour and pour into muffin tin pan. Optional to use muffin liner cups. If you don’t, make sure you grease your pan.
7. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
*If you decide to make a purchase through the affiliate link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This does not cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!