Almost everyday I crave Asian food. Unfortunately, take-out is not all that healthy for you.
I had ground chicken in the fridge to use up, so I thought hmm.. what can I make to satisfy this craving. Sweet and sour chicken came to mind. That coupled with my son’s love for anything round, resulted in meatballs. No doughy starchy crust, but all the goodness in flavor.
The meatballs by itself is great to eat too. It also might be a great option for younger babies. Plus, it’s a great hide the veggies dish!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 grated sweet apple
- 1/2 grated pear (optional)
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs / quinoa if you want to go #glutenfree
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion (if you like less onion then reduce)
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 tbs water
- 2 tbs ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar, add more if you like it more sour
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl
2. Shape and mold. I use an ice cream scooper
3. Bake at 350F until 165F, about 20-25 minutes, but it really depends on the oven so I use a leave-in thermometer (affiliate link).
Sweet and Sour Sauce Instructions
- Add all ingredients except for the corn starch and water into a pot, wait for a boil
- Mix water and cornstarch in a bowl
- Add into bowling mixture and whisk