Growing up, I loved fruit rollups. I wanted to recreate it for my son without the added additives. I also jazzed it up by adding the super food flax seed on them. I don’t have a dehydrator so I used my oven. I used the same technique as veggie chips. Low heat for a long period of time is how this is the name of the game.
Get ready for this.. you can make this with just one ingredient folks. Grapes are naturally so sweet that you don’t need any sugar or honey. Flax seeds are optional. Tip: If you or your child don’t like the texture of seeds, you can always blend it in with the grapes.
- 3 cups grapes
- flax seeds
1. Preheat oven to 170F
2. In a blender, (we use a Blendtec) blend grapes until liquid
3. Pour on a baking sheet lined with a non stick baking mat like a Silpat. The silpat is a game changer and well worth the buy. I’ve seen others use parchment paper also. It’s probably best you spray it with non stick spray before pouring if you do use paper.
4. Evenly pour the grape puree on the baking sheet. It’s important you make this as even as possible to about 1/8 of an inch.
5. Sprinkle flax seeds if desired
6. Bake for 6-8 hours, until the fruit leather is easy to peel off the baking mat or parchment paper.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool
The amount of time it takes to make varies by oven. Check starting at 4 hours. It does take a long time, but it’s a perfect for a day in with the kids. The oven doesn’t get too hot because of the low temp.