Every time I go to the grocery store, I get tempted to buy chicken breast. But then I think about the many times I’ve cooked it unsuccessfully. Unless stewed, the healthy white meat is so dry. I’ve recently found a fix! In just 10 to 15 minutes your meat of choice will be incredibly juicy or tender. These summer chicken skewers are healthy and delicious!
All thanks to Zespri Kiwifruit.! That’s right.. FRUIT. No chemicals additives or weird powders to add to your meat. I’ve recently had the opportunity to work with Zespri Kiwifruit and found out it has some incredible uses.
There is an enzyme called actinidin found in green kiwifruit which makes for a wonderful natural meat tenderizer. Simply peel and mash or blend a kiwi, and spread the pulp on a tough cut of meat. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes and lightly scrape off the kiwi.
This is a simple kabob recipe I came up with. You can also use kiwi for any foods that you wish to fry. It’s simply a great tenderizer.
- 2 bpneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch size pieces
- 2 kiwis (green)
- Bell peppers
- 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs. dijon mustard
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. thyme, or 1 tsp if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- Skewers, metal preferred
- Mash or blend kiwi (note: stop blending before the seeds get crushed, or it will turn bitter)
- In a small bowl, mix blended kiwi marinade and all ingredients
- Cut up chicken into 1 inch size pieces
- In another bowl, pour marinade onto chicken breast
- Place in refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes
- Add chicken onto metal skewers, alternating between chicken and vegetables
- Bbq until internal temp is 165F
Some tips for cooking with Kiwi
Source: Zespri Kiwifruit
- Some important things to keep in mind while creating your own delicious meals and recipes.
- The skin is edible on both varieties. The SunGold Kiwi has no hair which makes it easier to bite into like an apple. Be sure to rinse your kiwi first.
- If you insist on peeling, a serrated peeler works best.
- The actinidin in Green also prevents gelatin from setting and breaks down proteins in dairy products which can cause curdling. If serving Green Kiwifruit with ice cream, yogurt or otherdairy products, serve immediately after you add to your dish. SunGold kiwis do not have this enzyme.
- When puréeing be sure to stop processing before the seeds are crushed. Crushed seeds may lend a slightly bitter flavor to your dish. Seeds can be removed by passing the pulp through a strainer.
- When using kiwifruit in hot dishes, add it at the very last minute so that it will retain its bright color. Kiwi flesh is soft so it is recommended that you add later when cooking certain dishes like a stir-fry.
Thanks Zespri Kiwifruit for sponsoring this post! It’s our new go-to kiwi fruit. The sun gold variety is hairless and has a delectable tropical sweet taste. We can’t get enough of it!