My husband recently bought me an Instapot and I I’m a huge fan! First off, let me just say that this is not a sponsored post. I just wanted to share how awesome it is, because it truly cuts my cooking time dramatically. As a mother of two kids under two, I need every shortcut I can get. Instant Pot is a seven-in-one multi-cooker that works as an electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, warmer, and sauté pan all in one. I’ve made several stews and meals in it, but this Asian Beef recipe is my first official instapot post. You can definitely use a dutch oven or a regular deep pot to make this, maybe even a slow cooker, but I’ve never tried.
I was hesitant to use it let alone buy it. It sat in my Amazon cart for weeks before my husband bought it. Frankly, he probably bought it on accident ha-ha. When it first arrived, it sat in my kitchen for several weeks unopened, because I was anxious and scared to use a pressure cooker. I remember my dad using the old-fashioned one and that steam release scared me! But I’m so glad I finally gave it a try.
I basically used my regular on-the-stove Asian Beef recipe in the Instapot and bam! It only took 30 minutes from start to finish. It would normally take a longer time to simmer the beef to achieve tender meat. If you use another type of meat like rib eye or sirloin or maybe even flank, it will take probably only take 12-15 minutes!
- 2 lbs flank steak, rib eye, or chuck (takes longer), slice into small strips
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 c. honey
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbs. sesame oil
- 2 tbs. cornstarch
- 3 tbs. water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Instapot Version (scroll down for over the stove version)
- Lightly salt and pepper beef
- Select the sautee button on the Instapot
- Add 2 tbs of vegetable oil and add minced garlic
- Brown beef in batches, set aside
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and 3 tbs of water, set aside
- In the pot, add soy sauce, honey, ginger, onion powder, sesame oil
- Return beef in the instapot with the sauce mixture
- Add cornstarch mixture and mix
- On manual, cook for 20-25 minutes (note: this will vary with type of beef cut)
Stove Top Version
Lightly salt and pepper beef
In a dutch oven or deep cooking pan, add oil and garlic
Brown beef slices and set aside
In a bowl, mix soy sauce, honey, ginger, onion powder, sesame oil, until well combined
In another bowl, mix cornstarch and water
Add beef, sauce mixture and cornstarch in the dutch oven and simmer on medium low until desired beef tenderness is achieved.
*If you decide to make a purchase through the affiliate link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This does not cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!