Some of you have toddlers starting preschool soon. Or you might have older kids going back to school. Unfortunately, the start of school season marks the start of flu season. It’s never fun to see our kids sick. I’m a firm believer of using nature’s nutritious foods to stay healthy. Why not arm your kid’s bodies against the cold and flu with these flu fighter jellies?
Studies show that loading up on vitamin c may help shorten the length of time you’re sick and reduce the severity symptoms. And while the first fruit that comes to mind when I think of vitamin c is an orange, there are many more common fruits and veggies filled with more vitamin c. Kiwis pack the ultimate vitamin C punch. It has 137 mg of vitamin C and also rich in potassium and copper. Oranges only have 51 mg. That’s more than double!
- 1/2 c. pureed kiwi
- 3 tbs. gelatin powder
- 2-3 tbs. honey or to taste
- Cut kiwi for easy blending
- Puree kiwi and add gelatin powder
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds
- Whisk in honey
- Using a dropper fill gummy bear mold
- Refrigerate uncovered for at least 24 hours (the longer it sits the firmer it becomes)
- You can also use fruit juice, see below.
P.S. you can also add 1/2 c. fruit juice to create a mixed flavor. Sprinkle gelatin into fruit juice and microwave for 60-90 seconds then whisk in kiwi and honey. Every 1/2 c. of juice or kiwi I would use about 3 tbs. of gelatin powder.
- Eat immediately, or store in the fridge, it doesn’t do too well packed
- Don’t over blend the kiwi, the seeds will turn bitter!
- Use sweet fruit! If it’s sour to begin with, the jellies will end up sour.
- This is more of a jelly consistency. For a harder texture use other fruit like pureed strawberries, grape juice or apple juice
Thanks Zespri Kiwifruit for sponsoring this post! It’s our new go-to kiwi fruit. The sun gold variety is hairless and has a delectable tropical sweet taste. We can’t get enough of it! Did you also know that kiwi is a natural tenderizer? Check out this recipe here: Summer Skewers
*If you decide to make a purchase through the affiliate link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This does not cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!