My oldest son’s two favorite foods are chicken and apples. So I thought to myself, why not cook them together?! I was pleasantly surprised with this delicious one pan apple chicken recipe and this is now in our weekly rotation.
The apples add a light sweetness to the dish and it this takes less than half an hour to make. This time I didn’t use any butter like I normally would to cut back on fat for my husband and I. It still tasted great!
Note: You’ll see that I wrote “to taste” on the herbs. My husband and I like a lighter flavor, but if you prefer you can always add a little more! Remember, if you use fresh herbs its a lot less potent than dried.
- 2 tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. chicken thighs, skinless, boneless
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp. oregano dried, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary dried, to taste
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 apples, sliced thinly
- 1 small red onion , sliced thinly (optional)
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. olive oil
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the chicken
- Add chicken to skillet and brown, about 5 minutes each side or until brown
- Set aside
- In a bowl, whisk broth and mustard
- Add remaining oil to pan and all ingredients (broth and mustard mixture, remaining salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano, apple, and onion)
- Cook for another 4 minutes or until cooked