At nearly $5 dollars per small container, berries are an expensive staple at our house. On occasion when I find it by bulk, I do buy them. Problem is, when I do, they spoil so quickly. There’s always one moldy strawberry in the container that ruins the entire batch. So.. how do you keep berries fresh longer? Do a little prep work before you place them in the refrigerator!
The big bonus is you don’t have to wash them every time you take it out of the refrigerator. It’s also great for toddlers who regularly search the refrigerator looking for a snack. I won’t name any names, but I have said toddler living in my home. This quick procedure will naturally kill the mold spores and won’t spoil as quickly.
I hope this helps 😉
- 1 c. vinegar
- 3 c. water
- In a bowl, mix vinegar and water
- Add berries
- Gently rinse and clean the berries in the vinegar solution
- Rinse the berries in clean water.
- Drain the berries into a clean container
- Lay out a paper towel, or kitchen towel and place clean berries
- Pat dry
- Store in a clean container lined with paper towel