I woke up with a leg cramp when I decided to make this. I’m not a doctor, but I remember my physician telling me to eat bananas when I get a leg cramp because the potassium in the yellow fruit helps. On top of that my son won’t stop talking about banana bread lately. My food inspiration comes from weird places doesn’t it?
The bananas sitting on my counter were super ripe, so naturally I decided to make banana muffins. Since I’ve been eating a lot of what I make for my son lately, I made healthy banana muffins!
If you’re wondering what’s healthier about this recipe, it only has 1 tbs of butter and uses coconut sugar. No oil! According to the Huffington Post, coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index than white sugar. That means it doesn’t raise your blood sugar as quickly as white sugar.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tbs butter, softened or slightly melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c. crushed walnuts
- Cream together butter and sugar
- In another bowl, lightly beat eggs, add crushed bananas, and vanilla and combine
- In another bowl, mix flour, soda, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture. Add applesauce and combine well, but do not overmix. Add crushed walnuts if desired
- Grease muffin tin by lightly spraying with cooking spray or use silicone cupcake liners
- Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes (depends on size of muffin tin used, so use a toothpick to check if it comes out clean) Check frequently!
I’m so excited to share this recipe. Can you believe there’s no oil in this recipe? But.. still so moist! Don’t believe me? Take a look below.
BIG TIP: Cook time will vary depending on what kind of pan you use. My mini muffins took about 10-12 minutes and mini loaf pans about 15. PLEASE check it often and poke with a toothpick until it comes out clean.
*If you decide to make a purchase through the affiliate link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This does not cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!