I think it’s safe to say every kid loves chicken nuggets. While our little munchkins might be able to eat it everyday for every meal, I cannot. Here’s a grown up version with the same crunch. I paired it with rice balls with veggies.
Chicken Katsu (Breaded Chicken)
- 3 small chicken thighs (boneless), you can also use chicken breast
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
1. Remove skin and flatten chicken thighs
2. In bowl, lightly beat eggs
3. In another bowl, pour panko crumbs
4. Lightly season chicken to taste. Dip chicken in eggs, followed by panko crumbs
5. Dip breaded chicken in eggs again and dip in bread crumbs, set aside
6. Heat up a deep pan with oil. Once the oil is fully heated, gently drop each piece of chicken and cook until golden brown on each side.
Tip: I don’t deep fry this chicken, but I do add enough oil in a pan so it doesn’t stick
- 1 c. cooked rice (asian rice works best, basmati or any other type of loose rice will not stick together)
- 1/4 c. frozen vegetable medley
- plastic gloves or sandwich bag, or saran wrap
1. Steam vegetable in a steamer
2. In a bowl, mix rice and veggies until well incorporated
3. Wait until rice and veggies are cool to touch
4. Using a plastic bag, scoop a spoonful of mixed rice into bag and form a ball.
For reference see video below. I swapped spinach with a garden medley. You can also use parchment paper instead of plastic, but to me plastic works best.