Ever since we got back from vacation my son has been a little more picky than usual. It’s probably because I gave him a lot of snacks and treats on our 15 hour plane ride.
Every morning when I ask him what he wants for breakfast he’s asked for a muffin. One morning, I made his wish come true. When he asks for something I can make at home in a healthier way, I do it!
This build your own muffin recipe is so simple to make and it only takes 15 minutes to bake! Best of all your kids can help in the kitchen by adding in their favorite toppings. It’s summer time for most folks and this makes for a fun activity. This is also flourless, refined sugar free (depending on toppings used), and is protein rich.
If you’re wondering if it has an egg like consistency, it does not! You may have a hard time believing it has no flour. This easy healthy muffin is now my go to recipe for sure. Here’s how to make it:
Easy Healthy Muffins
- 1 C. rolled oats
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. yogurt
- 3-4 tbs. agave syrup or honey
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Toppings: chocolate chips dried cranberries, raisins , or even nuts
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a blender, blend all ingredients except toppings until smooth
- Grease muffin tin and pour mix
- Mix in desired toppings in each individual circle (this is a perfect kids activity)
- Top with more toppings
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out smooth
Recipe adapted from Well Plated.