Potatoes and crunch. That’s what this cheesy potato balls recipe is all about. Every so often, I get cravings. Who am I kidding, I would say I crave something daily. Being that my favorite Cuban bakery is way to far to visit, I created the closest thing to Cuban potato balls I could with the amount of time and ingredients I had on hand. The combination of flavors is amazing!
There are only a few better combinations than potatoes and cheese. Add a hint of chicken and barbecue sauce and you have the perfect bite! My kids devoured these, because well, they’re the best things ever. Thank goodness I made extra because my sons couldn’t stop eating them. He could hardly wait to eat them before I snapped the photo below. Don’t tell anyone but there may or may not be a half bitten potato ball in his basket below.
You can also bake them if you prefer, but it’s hard to get the same crunch you would get compared to frying. Vegetarian? No problem, just omit the chicken.
- 2 c. mashed potatoes, cold
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c. bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. chicken, chopped
- 2-3 tbs. barbecue sauce (to taste)
- 1-2 Horizon Organic Mozzarella string cheese
- Cut string cheese in 1 inch pieces
- Bowl #1 - mix barbecue sauce with chicken, set aside
- Bowl #2 l- lightly beat egg.
- IBowl #3 - add bread crumbs
- Using a cookie scooper or ice cream scooper, place one scoop of mashed potato onto your hand
- Add indentation using the back of the scooper
- Add prepared chicken and one piece of cheese, form into a ball, create several balls and place on a plate
- Dip prepared potato balls into egg then bread crumbs
- Fill a medium sized saucepan with 1.5 inches of oil. On medium high heat, gently drop a few potato balls
- Drain in a metal strainer if desired.
Thank you Horizon Organic for sponsoring this post.