Breakfast options are becoming few and far between at our home. My kids are over eggs and oatmeal, so when that happens I whip these out. These spinach cheesy muffins are also great for lunch boxes for a non sandwich option. It’s is my all time favorite savory muffin recipe. It’s packed with nutrients including vitamins from spinach, cheese, and egg.
It’s also freezable and makes a great side dish or breakfast option. I do however prefer it fresh, it just tastes better! Trust me, though, it may not last in your kitchen anyway.
By the way, I’ve tried this recipe without sugar. It does help keep these soft and moist. That said, tastes fine without it. You can also add 1/2 tsp. of garlic salt for an even tastier treat.
SPINACH CHEESE MUFFINS
- 1 1/2 C. Flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbs sugar
- 1 C. chopped fresh spinach
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 4 tbs. butter (half a stick), 56.5 grams
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a bowl, mix first 6 ingredients until well combined (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, chopped spinach, and cheese).
- In another bowl, mix milk, egg, and melted butter
- Mix cheese mixture with milk mixture (bowl 1 + bowl 2) until well combined
- Grease a muffin tin or use cupcake liners. Fill muffin tin about 3/4 of the way (enough to leave for rising)
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 min, or until toothpick comes out clean
1 half stick of butter = 4 tbs. = 56.5 grams