When my toddler turned 2 years old, I started giving him a little of every food in moderation. That said, I still hadn’t given him extremely sugary foods like candy or ice cream. These healthy drumstick ice cream bites are a great alternative to the classic favorite.
One evening, I unfortunately, or fortunately for you, had sugar cravings. So when I have a sweet tooth, I try to make whatever I’m wanting toddler friendly. I’m not sure why, but I had a craving for a drumstick. You know, the vanilla ice cream one with sugar cone, topped with chocolate and peanuts.
I quickly started thinking about how I can make something similar and guilt free. These days, I’m up all night with my newborn nursing, so I have a lot of time to think… ok I digress. Well, I remembered making no refine sugar chocolate covered strawberries in the past, so I used the same recipe. Instead, I made drumstick balls and made my own no refined sugar ice cream. While it may not be the same as the real drumstick, I don’t feel bad giving these to my toddler.
P.S. My kids were a handful today, hence the very melted ice cream picture below. I wanted to show you how pink it is and that’s all from the strawberries only!
Healthy Drumstick Ice Cream Bites
- 2 Bananas frozen
- 5-6 Strawberries frozen and hulled
- 3 tbs. heavy cream
- 8 tbs. honey or to taste, divided
- 4 tbs. Coconut Oil
- 4 tbs. Cacao Powder / or melt chocolate chips
- Toppings: Crushed peanuts or sprinkles
- Cut bananas and hull strawberries.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours (I left them in overnight)
- Blend bananas, strawberries, heavy cream, and honey until the mixture has a soft serve consistency.
- Using an ice cream scooper, form ice cream into balls (remember to work quickly as it will melt). Place on a baking sheet and return back to the freezer
- In a bowl, add coconut oil. Place in microwave for 10-12 seconds. It should not be in liquid form but just melted enough to mix with the cacao.
- Mix cacao and coconut oil together and add honey. For a sweeter variety, add more honey until you reach your desired sweetness. Allow cacao mixture to cool a bit.
- Dip ice cream ball into cacao mixture, then in peanuts. You can also sprinkle peanuts instead of rolling it in it.
- Freeze until ready to eat
- Remove from freezer and allow it to melt a bit before eating
TIp: you can always use semi-sweet chocolate chips and melt it instead of raw cacao powder. Try to use ripe, but not overripe bananas and sweet strawberries.
Looking for more cold treats? Try these Hidden Veggie Bunny Popsicles